Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Things are Looking Up

Hello,

First, I am staying in Sumner with Sister Pope, and this past week has been exciting...

On Tuesday we went to the pumpkin patch and it was grand. I named my pumpkin, Pete.

We had Zone Meeting on Wednesday and the focus was Christ-like attributes. I studied Hope and Patience the following week to prepare for it. I was reading in Ether 12:34 where it says  "a more excellent hope..." I thought how can I have that. So I studied in the topical guide which than led me to Romans 15:4,13 - I love these scriptures because it helped me understand that I can have that hope as I read the scriptures and feel peace through the Holy Ghost. Later that day we were tracting and we found a young family. The mom owns a t-shirt company and she was wearing a shirt that said "Not today Satan!" I was thinking to myself - Amen! We have a lesson with them tomorrow so I will keep you posted.

At Zone Meeting we also found out that ELDER RASBAND, BISHOP WADELL, AND ELDER CLAYTON are coming to the mission on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!! We get to meet with them for 2 hours.

We also found a new investigator named Joyce she is an 84 year old smoker that use to be a professional snake hunter...she has never been bit though, I know that is what you were thinking. 

This week we were visiting a returning inactive and her kids that are also inactive. She has been to church about 5 or 6 times now. But I felt so guilty afterwards because we stayed a little longer than we should have. I thought what was the point of that visit, we talked a lot but didn't really help them progress. But on Sunday we talked to her at church and she was really surprised that her 11 year old son was in the living room talking with us and was comfortable because it takes him a while to open up to people. She told us that she wants us to start teaching "her the lessons" while her kids are there so they can be involved too without having the lessons being directed at them. It was such a blessing! 

So on Sunday night we didn't get a call saying that we were getting transferred. I was kind of confused because I was honestly not sure why I am still in Sumner. Monday during lunch I was having a hard time, missing my family, and was ready to be in a new area. I got down on my knees and asked Heavenly Father what I need to accomplish in Sumner and that I will do whatever he asks me to do. I felt better and went on with the day. We had a lesson with a recent convert and her husband that isn't a member sat in on the lesson. I was kind of nervous because in the past when his wife was taking the lessons he would be rude to the sisters or would be almost anti towards the church. However, his heart has been softening towards the church this past year. We eased into asking him if he wants to learn more and that we won't pressure him to get baptized. He said he would like to take the lessons and told us we could come back tomorrow for a lesson. That was another miracle.

We had dinner with the Conines - love that family. They are rockstars and a funny story that also happened was we ran out of toilet paper on Saturday so we would go to the church to use the bathroom. While we were about to leave she asked us if we needed anything and we said toilet paper so she got us a big pack and we are all set for this coming week. That was another miracle - haha.

We had a lesson with a less active family at 8pm. After we got out of the lesson around 8:40 we had 2 missed calls and voicesmails from Sister Whitman and Brother Terry (the 1st counselor in the bishopric and the Whitman's home teacher). There was also a text from Sister Whitman saying I need Sister Wynder to call as soon as possible. I was kind of freaking out because I had no idea what was going on. We called Sister Whitman back and Brother Whitman answered. He then told me that he was getting baptized on November 19th! I was shocked and almost started crying I was so happy. We drove over to their house and they explained that Brother Terry and Brother Feller came over to give him a blessing for his surgery on Thursday and that Brother Terry asked him if he had thought more about getting baptized before they move. He then pulled out his calendar and said you thinking October or November? Brother Whitman said November and they concluded with the 19th. We then called Sister Hollingsworth to tell her the good news and she had a similar reaction to me. Brother Whitman also explained that he was sitting in church on Sunday and one of the talks just made him think why am I not a member already? It clicked for him and he is sold. I was so grateful that Heavenly Father let me stay in Sumner to help Brother Whitman prepare for baptism. All the fasting and praying Sister Hollingsworth and I did in June, July, and August for Brother Whitman is being answered.

Sister Pope is also feeling much better and the "storm" passed us. I was kind of excited we were prepared with candles and matches in case the power went out, but it never really stormed.

Also we get to have the first Zone Activity on Halloween, because Halloween falls on a Monday. So pumped for that! It will be from 6pm-9pm because they never let the missionaries be out on Halloween night.

Well I think that is about all. Love you so much!

Sister Wynder

And she sent a lot of pictures . . . 

Bryn, Sister Pope, and Pete the Pumpkin




 
















October missionary fireside
















And an MTC reunion at the missionary fireside




















Zone Meeting
















And a few others . . . 


































No comments:

Post a Comment